home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the watsons go to birmingham--1963 : a novel /
The Watsons go to Birmingham--1963 : a novel
Christopher Paul Curtis
Children's Fiction CURTIS

this book was ok. I had to read it for school so i did not really have a choice. but some parts were kinda funny.
posted Aug 21, 2009 at 3:46PM
This book is really funny and really touching. It makes you realize that African-Americans were really treated unfairly. At first it surprised me at how many people were racist back then. I’m just glad that that’s all over and now skin color doesn’t matter!
posted Aug 5, 2009 at 5:56PM
Anime said:
Story about Paul Curtis' childhood, base on real life mixed with fiction, Awasome and humirous!
posted Feb 20, 2007 at 6:48PM
Grace said:
I read this book once when I was about twelve or thirteen and enjoyed it. I read this book a couple weeks ago and understood it. This book is side-splittingly funny, incredibly sad, and uplifting. It is a story of a black family who takes a road trip to Birmingham, Alabama in 1963 and find themselves in the midst of the Civil Rights turmoil. In addition to its powerful message about racism and its horrific-ness, the love that this one family has for each other, and their ups and downs shines throughout the book.
posted Oct 9, 2006 at 10:05AM
Grace said:
posted Oct 9, 2006 at 10:05AM
Katie Murney said:
This is a great book! It is funny and touching. When the watsons go to birmingham it is really hard to adjust to the south and their rules for blacks. Especially when someone drops a bom in little Joetta's church. Will she come out okay?
posted Oct 7, 2006 at 9:19AM
Emily said:
There is a family that is really wierd! Well, other people think that they are! It is based on a ture thing in life. A bombing at a chruch. And their oldest son, Byron, is really bad, and not well behaved! So, they have to go to Birminham. I really like this book because it is really funny, and parts are really sad.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Marissa said:
This Book is About a Family people call them the Weird Watsons a boy named Kenny talks about his life in the benning Then the Watsons go to Birmingham,Alabama to vist there Grandma. My Teacher tolded me about this book and there is a big secret at the end you will have to find out about.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Alex said:
When biren pushes his parents too far his parents come up with th punishment of sending him to his grandma Sans house who lives in Alabama. His little brother kenny tells the reader the sotry of When The Watsons Go to Birmingham.I think this is a VERY! funny book it is also a page turner especially at the end of this book
posted May 29, 2004 at 10:57AM
Marie said:
This was a really good book. It's about Kenny and his family, the Weird Watsons. They go throught all sorts of strange events, like the brother lighting parachutes of toilet paper on fire, or the encounters with the "Wool Pooh." This was a very entertaining book.