home > bookspace > my comments > comment: stardust /
Stardust
Gaiman, Neil
Adult Fiction GAIMAN

Scheherezade said:
If you’re going to read it, read the illustrated version.
posted Oct 13, 2012 at 1:12PM
I have always admired Neil Gaiman’s skill at creating an imaginary world, and this story does not disapoint. The world was incredible, and the plot was fast moving and imaginative. I liked the movie, but the book was ten times better. I could have enjoyed it even more if the characters had not been so boring and unrealistic. Tristan was the most annoying character of all, and I was hoping for a stronger character from him. But it was still a good book.
posted Oct 6, 2012 at 4:53PM
jill24 said:
This book is amazing, a simple story, good descriptions, characters that follow ancient rules. The movie does not do the book justice at all - replacing all of the fantasy aspects that made the book intriguing with trite and overused romance narratives. I highly recommend this novel though, it is fun and a very entertaining fantasy story.
posted Mar 26, 2010 at 10:17AM
The town of Wall is named for just that, a rock wall that separates its homes and buildings from a wide field that is forbidden to the townspeople—except for one night every nine years, when a fair is hosted by the residents of Faerie—fairies, witches, wizards, practitioners of magic of all kinds. Young Tristran Thorn (the son of a union between mortal and magic, though he doesn’t know it) is drawn across that wall one night—not a fair night—when his beloved sees a falling star land on the other side and demands that he fetch it to prove his love. Tristran sneaks across the wall into Faerie and sets out on a series of adventures, aided by a mysterious and instinctive understanding of magic. The fallen star is easy to find, but difficult to hold on to. For starters, the star is actually a living, breathing young woman named Yvaine. Then Tristran has to get back to Wall with Yvaine, a task made all the more difficult by the others who pursue the star for their own means. These are the sons of Lord Stormhold, who seek the star to claim the throne, and three sister-witches, who need the heart of a star to restore their lustrous youth and beauty. The witches are wicked (and bicker nonstop about whose turn it is to fetch what foul ingredient for the potions), the lords are cruel (and accompanied by the ghosts of their dead brothers), the hero is brave (and has no idea what he really wants), the lady is beautiful (and stubborn as a mule). In short, author Neil Gaiman has (once again) spun a quirky, creative, colorful fairy tale that’s warm and witty and full of life.
posted Feb 19, 2010 at 6:56PM
I was hesitant to see the movie because I really didn’t believe it would be possible to do the book justice on screen. Technically, the movie didn’t do the book justice since it added things that weren’t in the book and (inevitably) left some things out. Having said that, I still loved the movie! I almost wish there were a novelisation of the movie version of this story so I could read that, too. Hey, Neil! Do a neighbor a favor and write something up for me, yeah?
posted Jun 13, 2009 at 1:34PM
Aryn said:
Read--I liked this one. The illustrated version is beautiful
posted Oct 28, 2008 at 10:28AM
Aryn said:
Read
posted May 19, 2008 at 4:42PM
a4ever said:
A brilliant plot, although the movie is better.
posted Feb 12, 2008 at 11:35PM
Safdar said:
Wow, Sounds really cool! I love advencher storys. Does It have any romance cause I like those kind of books too. I’ll definatly look it up and If it looks like something i might like then I’ll read it and tell you what I think.
posted Oct 16, 2006 at 2:24PM
Ted said:
With the plot of a fairy tale but the length and depth of your average novel, Gaiman, like our hero, walks casually back and forth through the realms of the fantastic and the real to bring out something astounding. Tristan Thorn, to secure his true love's hand, goes off into Fairyland to find a fallen star?but, like always, it's not nearly that simple, involving a trio of witches, ships of the air, seven princely brothers, and the star herself, given to cursing and a good dose of bloody-mindedness. Make sure you get the hardback version; it's got pictures (good ones, too).