home > bookspace > my comments > comment: alanna : the first adventure /

All Alanna of Trebond wants to do is become a knight, but girls can't train at the palace. So she switches places with her twin brother Thom and takes the palace by storm, pretending to be a boy. This four-book series leads into some five other series you can read if you want.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 5:33PM
Hey There said:
Love this book! It pulls you in and even tho the premise sounds simple it’s actually really engaging and super exciting :) I highly recommend it. Esp. for girls.
posted Mar 28, 2010 at 1:41PM
This is a really good read if u like adventure books.
posted Jul 30, 2009 at 9:07PM
Zspecial1 said:
Alanna wants to be a knight, but girls aren’t alowed to be knights. She disguises herself as a boy and calls herself Alan, training to be a knight. She develops a friendship with the Prince of the country, and the king of the Thieves. This was a very interesting book, I read it all in one day. I’d recommend it only for girls, though.
posted Jun 10, 2006 at 1:25PM
Biota said:
Alanna really wants to be a knight, but the girls aren't allowed to be knights. Alanna disguises herself as a boy and goes to the school where they train knights. I really enjoyed this book. [Series: Song of the Lioness #1]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Sarah said:
This book was great! It is about a girl named Alanna, who does not want to go to a place for girls. Instead, her twin brother switches places with her, because he does not want to become a knight. I don't want to give the rest away, so please read it! There are four books to this adventure, starting with Alanna:The first adventure. Anybody who likes stories about girl heroines and fantasy should definetly read this book!!!!! [Series: Song of the Lioness #1]
posted Sep 9, 2005
Sarah said:
Alanna:The First Adventure is a great book! It is about a girl who wants to become a knight for the king. To bad only boys/men are allowed that job.Instead, Alanna gets to go somewhere else to learn magic.But when she switches places with her twin brother, everything changes. This is only the first of four breath-taking books in the Song of the Lioness Quartet! This is a great book for girls who love adventure. I LOVED this book!!!
posted Apr 12, 2005
Amy said:
This book was very good. At first I thought it looked sort of stupid and weird but it turned out fantastic. It sort of holds true when you say don't judge a book by its cover, which I almost did unfortunately. This book is about a girl named Alanna, she and her twin brother are being sent away from their father. Alanna and Thom don't want to go where they are sent. A whole lot of lies cover up who they are sometimes but this book is really exciting.
posted Mar 5, 2005
Kate said:
This is the first of a quartet about a girl who wants to become a knight. She trades places with her brother, and disguises herself as a boy to achieve her dreams. Full of adventure, intrigue, and a bit of romance, all of Tamora Pierce's novels are fantastic reads with great plots and strong heroines. Must reads for girls of all ages. [Series: Song of the Lioness]
posted Jan 17, 2005
Melissa said:
This book was amazing, a fantastic masterpiece that reflects the clear truth of the struggles of women and the determination of a young girl. It is filled with courage, hope, and an inner strength that fills the reader with a clear truth to strive to fulfill his or her dreams.
posted Oct 3, 2004
Michelle said:
This book was amazing! Tamora Pierce NEVER lets me down. I was absolutely hooked on this book; the characters seem so real to me, as if I could see these people in real life. I am itching in anticipation for the second book I have on hold - In the Hand of the Goddess. To have an inspirational read, when you haven't read one book for a while, read it again; you pick up things you haven't before and you like it even better the second time. That's what I did with this book.
posted Jul 24, 2004
Aly said:
the book is really good. it is sort of adventure slash fantasy. read it.
posted Jul 1, 2004
Anastasia said:
This book is in a series. It's about girls who do courageous things. Allana, a young girl who is the daughter of a duke trades places with her brother. She doesn't want to study magic, she wants to become a knight. So, she goes to school as Alan. There are many twists and turns. I definitely liked this book, but there were parts that just got too boring.
posted Jun 9, 2004
Aly said:
I love all of Tamora Pierce's books but this one stood up taller then all of them (only by a couple inches though). It is weird how she could fool so many boys. And once all knew even help some girls to want to be knights (Kel). If you like this book you'll love all the other books she writen.
Jenn said:
This is the first book in Pierce's amazing quartet, Song of the Lioness. It chapters the years of Alanna, a girl in the medival ages who wants to be a knight. Alanna is a strong and new heroine.
Rachel said:
This is the best series I have ever read!! I love how the main character, Alanna, can do everything she sets her mind to, whether it is becoming the first woman knight, or learning how to be the best swordsman in all of Tortall(her country.) She is brave, talented, and an all around great person! [Series: Song of the Lioness #1]