1. The direction, operation and management of the County Library System shall be under the jurisdiction of the County Board of Commissioners who shall appoint a County Library Board consisting of eleven members, the membership to represent the citizens of Hennepin County both geographically and politically, all of whom shall reside in the Hennepin County Library service area at the time of their appointment and for the duration of their term.
In the event a member leaves the Board for any reason, the
appointment to fill the vacancy shall be for the remainder of that member’s
term, and the replacement will be made by the
All terms commence January 1 of their respective year of
appointment; incumbents are expected to serve until the
If any member resigns at any time, written notice must be sent
to the Library Board President who shall forward the notice to the
2. The Library Board shall be advisory to the
State Law gives power to
Maintain a system of public libraries.
Determine the locations of the libraries.
Levy taxes for library operations and maintenance.
Direct, operate and manage county library system.
Appoint eleven members to Library Board who reside in service area of the library
State Law gives power to County Library Board to:
Determine the contents of the collection.
Be responsible for use of library meeting rooms.
Make recommendations to
County Commissioner Resolution #81-2-108R gives power to County Library Board to:
Establish rules governing library operation.
Review the annual operating
budget for submission to the
Develop a long range plan.
Accept and manage gift and trust funds.
3. At all meetings of the Board a majority of the members of the Board shall be necessary and sufficient to constitute a quorum for the transaction of business and the act of the majority of the members present at which there is a quorum shall be the act of the Library Board.
4. All books and records of the Board shall be kept in the Hennepin County Library administrative offices unless otherwise specified by these Bylaws.
1. An annual meeting shall be called by the President and held by the Board pursuant to this article.
2. Notice of the annual meeting shall be written and sent at least five days before the meeting date.
3. At the annual meeting the Library Board shall elect its officers, transfer leadership, and transact any business as may come before it. If there is not a quorum present at the annual meeting, then it shall be recessed to another day as soon as practicable thereafter upon five day written and mailed notice.
OFFICERS OF THE BOARD
1. At the annual meeting, the Library Board shall elect a President, a Vice President and a Secretary.
2. The President of the Board shall preside at all regular and special meetings of the Board and generally perform all duties associated with that office. In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall preside. In the absence of the President and Vice President, the Secretary shall preside. In case of the absence of the President, Vice President and Secretary, the Board may elect an officer pro tem.
3. The President shall appoint all committees not otherwise ordered by the Bylaws or the Library Board. The President or designee shall serve as an ex officio member on the Friends of the Hennepin County Library Board.
4. In consultation with Library staff, the Secretary will notify the members of all meetings of the Board; give notice of all meetings of committees; keep true records of the votes at the elections and of all other proceedings; and attest the records after every meeting by his/her signature.
5. If the office of the President, Vice President or Secretary shall become vacant, the members shall fill the vacancy at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board from a list provided by the Nominating Committee.
1. Regular meetings of the Board shall be held on a date and time determined at the annual meeting.
2. Notices of scheduled Board meetings shall be sent not less than five days before the meeting and shall include the place of the meeting, the agenda, financial statements, papers, charts, and/or reports pertaining to business that would require Board action.
3. Special meetings may be called by the President or any two Library Board members, by written notice stating the time, place and object of the meeting, to be sent at least three days before the meeting.
4. All meetings of the Board may be recessed or adjourned upon the majority vote of those members present.
5. All voting at meetings of the Board shall be by voice vote unless a member shall demand a roll call and record it in the proceedings of the Board.
6. If a quorum shall be lacking at any meeting of the Board the majority of the members present may adjourn the meeting and may schedule a new meeting.
7. In consultation with the President, the Director of the Hennepin County Library shall prepare an agenda for each scheduled meeting of the Board.
8. The agenda for all monthly Board meetings shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. Approval of minutes and agenda.
b. Public comment.
c. Report of President.
d. Report of Director.
e. Reports of committees.
f. Unfinished business.
g. New business.
9. Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the parliamentary procedure of the Board.
10. The Library Board shall conform to the Open Meeting Law (Minn. Stat. Ch. 13D).
1. The Board shall have one standing committee, Nominating (four members appointed by the President). Members of the Nominating Committee shall be appointed at least one month before the annual meeting. The Nominating Committee shall also meet to nominate candidates to fill vacancies under Article III, section 6.
2. The President with the concurrence of the Library Board may appoint other committees to serve for a length of time as is the pleasure of the Board. The President shall designate the chair who shall preside at all meetings of the committee. No committee shall consist of less than three members.
3. Each committee shall fix its own rules of procedure and shall meet where and as provided by the rules or by resolution of the Board. A quorum shall consist of a majority of the committee members.
4. In every case the affirmative vote of a majority of all members of a committee present at the meeting shall be necessary for its adoption of any resolution.
5. Minutes of committee meetings shall be kept and, if possible, sent to all members of the Board before the next scheduled Board meeting which follows the committee meeting.
6. The President of the Board shall be an ex officio member of all committees and shall have a full vote upon all matters at the committee meetings he/she may attend.
DIRECTOR OF THE HENNEPIN
1. The Library Director shall be appointed and removed by the
2. Under the Board’s policies the Library Director shall be responsible for the proper management of the Library and the preservation of all the library properties.
BYLAWS RELATING TO BYLAWS
1. The Board by majority vote thereof shall have the power to make, alter, amend or repeal the Bylaws at any regular or special meeting of the Board, the notice of which shall have stated the amendment of the Bylaws as one of the purposes of the meeting, providing an advance copy of the proposed amendment and a copy of the Bylaws then in force be mailed with said notice to each member.
2. Within ten days after the adoption of a resolution amending these Bylaws in any respect, a copy of the amended Bylaws shall be mailed to each member at his/her last known post office address.
3. These Bylaws shall be reviewed by the Library Board at least every three years.
Adopted February 19, 1987|
Revised August 20, 1992
Revised August 7, 1996
Revised February 25, 1998
Revised January 27, 1999
Revised May 23, 2001
Revised March 19, 2008
Revised November 19, 2008
Revised April 25, 2012