The purpose of this policy is to define customer conduct that is necessary to establish and maintain a welcoming public library environment-an environment that exists online and in the buildings.
Roles and Responsibilities; Customers will:
- We promote full and equal access to information and ideas.
- We support gathering places in libraries where individuals and groups can read, learn and engage with the arts, sciences and humanities.
Associated Policies and Laws
- Understand that the library is a public place shared by many.
- Be courteous and respect other library customers and staff.
- Respect library property.
- Conduct themselves in a safe and orderly way; allowing others to do the same.
- Avoid disruptive behaviors that may hinder other library customers.
- Attend children in their care, keep them safe, and pick them up before the library closes.
- Safeguard personal items.
- Comply with all Federal, state, and local laws.
- Follow Hennepin County and Library policies, including the Internet Public Use Policy.
The Library Director may establish more specific regulations of customer conduct to ensure the fair and consistent application of this policy.
- American Library Association. Library Bill of Rights
- Hennepin County. Diversity, Non-discrimination and Respectful Workplace Policy
- Hennepin County. Tobacco Free Property Policy
- Hennepin County. Workplace Violence Policy
- Minnesota Statute 609.541. Protection of Library Property
- Minnesota Statute 609.595. Damage to Property
- Minnesota Statute 609.72 Disorderly Conduct
Failure to follow this policy may result in eviction from the library, and may include a trespass order or arrest. Inappropriate conduct will be referred to the proper authorities for legal action in accordance with the Minnesota Statutes cited above.
This policy is reviewed by the Library Director (or designee) and the Library's legal counsel every four years and makes recommendations to the Library Board Program/Policy Committee. The Committee reviews and revises as necessary, endorses and advances to the full Library Board for approval.