Phases of a Library Building Project
- Scoping phase: The objective of the scoping phase is to develop the ideas and plans of a department into a potential project. In collaboration with Property Service's Planning & Project Development Division, a client department or unit works to identify the business needs/justification, architectural program and infrastructure requirements (scope) of a project.
- Feasibility phase: Feasibility studies aim to objectively and rationally uncover the strengths and weaknesses of an existing business plan, opportunities and threats present in the environment, the resources required to carry through, and ultimately the prospects for success. In its simplest terms, the two criteria to judge feasibility are value to be attained and cost.
- Programming phase: As the final phase within predesign, the objective of programming is to expand upon and refine the option recommended at the end of the feasibility phase. During programming, the client's objectives, space requirements, and operational plan will be translated into a facility capital project of sufficient detail to include in the Hennepin County's Capital Improvement Program and to direct the design team throughout the project design process.
- Schematic design phase: The objective of schematic design is to refine and build upon the scope, conceptual design, scale, and relationships among the components of the project. The primary goal of this phase is to develop a clearly defined design based upon the client's requirements, as defined by the facility program developed during predesign. Project quality, scope, budget, and schedule will also be confirmed and refined.
**HENNEPIN COUNTY BOARD APPROVAL REQUIRED AT THE END OF THIS PHASE**
- Design development phase: The design development phase is a refinement of the scope of work identified during schematic design. As required, large-scale drawings, mock-ups, and detailed plans are developed to present a coordinated, clear view of the project's major elements with respect to architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, equipment, civil, landscape, and utility infrastructure.
- Construction documents phase: Construction documents is the final design phase within the project delivery model. This phase focuses upon finalizing all drawings and specifications for building systems, site utilities, and components that will form the basis for the project's construction documents.