HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
OF JANUARY 26, 2005
The Hennepin County Library Board met on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 at the Ridgedale Resource Library.
Present: John Gibbs, Patricia Izek, Jeffrey Lunde, David Pratt, and Cynthia Steinke.
Library Staff Attending: Amy Ryan, Janet Leick, Richard Johnson, Nancy Perron, David Cramer, Margaret Gillespie, Elizabeth Feinberg, Judith Friedrich, Jane Johnson, and Bill Berg.
Guest: Richard Mueller, Patron
CALLED TO ORDER
Cynthia Steinke, President called the Hennepin County Library Board Meeting of January 26, 2005 to order at 4:10 p.m. and welcomed all attendees
- Public Comment
Richard Mueller - Patron, resident of Plymouth, and former Library Board Member. Mr. Mueller discussed his disappointment in not being able to access the Ancestry database remotely. Up until January 1, 2005 he was able to access this database remotely. This is a MELSA database and a key site for doing research. Please consider restoring this service to patrons remotely.
David Pratt moved approval of the minutes, seconded by Jeff Lunde and approved unanimously - 4 YEAS, 3 ABSENT (Haas/Izek/Miller) APPROVED
- Jane Johnson - Newly hired Executive Director for Library Foundation gave brief overview of her background and expressed gratitude for being a part of Hennepin County Library
Margaret gave opening address highlighting the various attributes of the Northwest and West Resource Group Libraries:
- Margaret Gillespie - Coordinating Librarian, Northwest & West Resource Groups
- Outreach and Youth Services Programs
- At Home Reader wrote poetry praising HCL for its services
- Adult and Juvenile Corrections Facilities - Read To Me Program
- Gretchen Wronka, Principal Librarian for Youth Services, put in place the second Readmobile and getting it up and running along with David Cramer's staff. The goal is to promote literacy in underserved populations - a partnership was developed with the University of Minnesota to help measure the services provided this population
Amy discussed her first month at HCL as Library Director. She thanked staff for a great welcoming experience and highlighted the following:
- Amy Ryan - Hennepin County Library Director
- Toured 25 of 26 Libraries - St. Anthony remains
DIRECTOR'S REPORT - Amy E. Ryan
- Orientation into CAB and CMS Departments
- Orientation with IT Department
- "Thanks to Friends and Foundation for hosting Welcome Coffee's
- Wireless will be in all 26-Libraries by April 2005
- Invited Board to attend Staff Welcome at Adath Congregation
- HCL is due for updates on 10-Year Capital Plan and Strategic Directions Plan
Patricia Izek moved approval of acceptance of non-monetary gifts, seconded by Jeff Lunde and approved unanimously - 5 YEAS 2 ABSENT (Miller/Haas) APPROVED
- Director's Office Organizational Structure
Amy unveiled a temporary organizational structure based on strengths and expertise. The Senior Team is being reshaped and the final organizational outcome is forthcoming.
- Maple Grove Library Update - Janet Leick
In her new role as Coordinator of Capital Projects, Janet gave her report on how the planning team, along with Property Services is moving forward in identifying the site, making sure the size and all configurations about the site is appropriate. Part of HCL negotiations is about sharing the parking garage with a Health Fitness Center.
- Plymouth Library Update - Janet Leick
Janet discussed the proposed modification to Plymouth:
- Workroom Area
- Book Drop
- Garage to accommodate second Readmobile
- Refurbish carpet
- Commissioner Steele and Stenglein bought a resolution forth at the 2005 Budget process to add additional dollars to Plymouth Renovation to add more square footage
- Rogers Library Update - Amy Ryan
Amy distributed invitations and highlighted opening events
$802.35 Friends of Excelsior
$785.28 Friends of Maple Grove
- Patricia Izek
- Continued involvement with Art Project at Ridgedale, meeting schedule February 15, 2004
- Jeffrey Lunde
- If there are discussions regarding Brooklyn Park with regards to remodeling the Brooklyn Park Library, notify Commissioner Opat of all discussions
- Home Schools - May be a good Outreach component as well as Anoka/Hennepin School Districts
- David Pratt
- Attended several Library Foundation meetings including the General Meeting
- John Gibbs
- Attended the swearing in of Commissioners who were elected in the fall of 2004. All seemed genuinely supportive of the libraries and endorsed the activities within
- Cynthia Steinke
- Expressed concern with expired terms
There being no further business the meeting of Hennepin County Library Board for January 26, 2005 was declared adjourned at 5:30 p.m.
Peter M. Miller, Secretary