HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
OF FEBRUARY 18, 2006
The Hennepin County Library Board met on Saturday, February 18, 2006 at St. Bonifacius Library.
Present: Holly Guncheon, Patricia Izek, Jeffrey Lunde, David Pratt, and Cynthia Steinke
Library Staff Attending: Amy Ryan, Margaret Gillespie, Lois Langer Thompson, John Sugimura, Ben Trapskin, Amy Parenteau, Carla Biermaier, Jane Johnson, Gretchen Wronka, Judy Hohmann, Marilyn Zastrow, Bill Berg, and Library Foundation President, Donna Scudder.
- CALL TO ORDER
Cynthia Steinke, President called the Hennepin County Library Board Meeting of February 18, 2006 to order at 8:25 a.m. with a welcome to all. There were no public comments.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Agenda was unanimously approved.
- January 25, 2006
- Jeffrey Lunde moved approval of minutes, seconded by David Pratt and approved unanimously - 4 YEAS 2 ABSENT (Gibbs & Izek) 1 VACANCY APPROVED
LIBRARY BOARD MEMBER REPORTS
- Attended HCL computer class instructed by Cinda Dumas
- Holly Guncheon
- Attended Brooklyn Park Task Force Meeting on February 6, 2006
Working on 2007 author list with Pen Pals
Attended Library Foundation Executive Committee meeting via telephone
- Jeffrey Lunde
- Attended reception by Long Island Library
- Cynthia Steinke
- Attended lunch meeting with Scott and Dakota County Library Boards; they are considering a change in the current structure to an Advisory Board
- St. Bonifacius 75th Anniversary Celebration - John Sugimura, Program Manager
- Outlined the process, development, and planning stages for the celebration
- Highlighted the various activities scheduled for today's event
- DIRECTOR'S REPORT - Amy E. Ryan
- Library Board Open Appointment
- Library Board currently has one vacancy, the Open Appointment Application Process was reopened with a link on HCL Home Page - Application deadline is March 15, 2006
- Introduction of Judy Hohmann, Partnerships & Communications Division Manager
- Judy was Director of Marketing and Communications at Twin Cities Public Television. Judy will join Hennepin County Library on February 21, 2006
- Program Study - Michele McGraw, Southdale Librarian
- Michele outlined the results of the study with recommendations to be published in Weekly Reader
- Framework for the Future Updates
- Amy outlined the current changes to Framework for the Future:
- - Added principle for seniors
- Strengthened technology throughout principles
- Library can be a "virtual gathering place"
- Outreach more front and centered
- HCL is committed to children, teens and families
- Added information regarding Volunteers and Friends
- Updated 2005 Statistics
- NEW BUSINESS
- Board Secretary
- Cynthia Steinke will sign off on the Minutes until new Secretary is appointed.
There being no further business, the Library Board Meeting for February 18, 2006 was declared adjourned at 8:52 a.m. Next meeting is scheduled Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 4:30 p.m., at Ridgedale Library.
Cynthia Steinke, President