HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
OF MARCH 22, 2006
The Hennepin County Library Board met on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 at Ridgedale Library.
Present: John Gibbs, Holly Guncheon, Patricia Izek, David Pratt, Cynthia Steinke
Library Staff Attending: Janet Leick, John Sugimura, Jane Johnson, Judy Hohmann, Sharon Charles
CALL TO ORDER
Cynthia Steinke, President called the Hennepin County Library Board Meeting of March 22, 2006 to order at 4:50 p.m. with a welcome to all. John Hagel, customer from Rogers, Hassan Township addressed the Board regarding the noise levels in our libraries, particularly Rogers and Maple Grove Libraries. The following are highlights of the points mentioned:
- Excessive noise levels; extremely high
- Libraries have turned into coffee shop atmosphere
- Notice signage re beverages and cell phones but customers do not abide by these rules
- Asking Hennepin County Library revert back to the old library mold instead of the community center, which is how it is used today
- Not a problem with noise levels at Ridgedale and Plymouth libraries
- Being a gathering place will only heighten the noise levels
- Librarians are very helpful and knowledgeable
Agenda was unanimously approved.
NOMINATING COMMITTEE - David Pratt
David Pratt, Chair of the Officer Nominating Committee announced the proposed officers for 2006-2007: President John Gibbs; Vice President Patricia Izek, Secretary Holly Guncheon. Members will vote and approve the new officers at the April 26th Annual Meeting.
February 18, 2006
At the February 18th Library Board meeting Lois Langer Thompson, Library Services Division Manager gave an update on Hennepin County Library Statistics along with information pertaining to staff's involvement in the community. Amy Parenteau, Senior Librarian at St. Bonifacius Library updated the Library Board on the history of the building and how the long roots of the library has heightened it's relationship with the community.
Holly Guncheon moved approval of minutes, seconded by David Pratt and approved unanimously - 5 YEAS 1 ABSENT (Lunde) 1 VACANCY APPROVED
LIBRARY BOARD MEMBER REPORTS
April 26th Library Board Meeting
The Library Board voted to move the April 26th Board Meeting to Hopkins Library and unanimously approved
Changing Start Time of Library Board Meetings
Cynthia Steinke, President moved to change the start time of the Library Board Meetings from 4:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., and was unanimously approved by the Board. The new start time will go into effect at the April 26th Board Meeting.
Living Library Society - Diane Ladenson, Library Foundation Board Trustee
Introduction: Jane Johnson, Executive Director, Library Foundation
Jane introduced Diane Ladenson and her accolades
Living Library Society - Diane Ladenson
Diane highlighted the reasons why the Living Library Society was so important, giving support to the library
- Asking you to join the Living Library Society making a bequest; the amount is totally individualized
- Set an example so others will follow suit
- There are plans to pitch the Living Library Society to The Friends, Officially Withdrawn Group and Staff
- We need the support of all including corporations
- Provide names of people you think are interested in bequesting support to the libraries
- Retained life estate is another way to make your bequest
Framework for the Future: Final Version
Janet spoke about the changes in the final version of Framework for the Future:
- Clarification of Hennepin County Library's suburban demographics and services
- Adding a statement about expanded hours covered by the subheading of "Maximizing the public's investment in HCL's infrastructure," in the principle on the public's financial investment
- Strengthening the technology aspects for services, access and libraries as virtual gathering places
- Expanding the principle on youth development to read "HCL is committed to Children, Teens and Families"
- Articulating HCL's commitment to outreach for people who may not be traditional library customers or face barriers to services
Capital Plan Process
Janet highlighted the following points:
- Pulling all aspects together in order to set priorities
- Group in phases that would include different levels of work plans
- This plan would also address the need for new construction beyond 2008
- The building currently in planning stages for actual changes in 2007 are: Maple Grove, Plymouth, and Brooklyn Park Library's
Library Board Open Appointment - Yolanda McCrary
Yolanda updated the Board on the current events surrounding the vacant Board seat. We received 23 applications; interviews will take place on Tuesday, March 28th @ 1:30 p.m. at the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners Committee Meeting, Government Center, A-Tower on 24th floor. The Commissioners will vote and select a new Board Member on April 4th at the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners Board Meeting.
ACCEPTANCE OF GIFTS
David Pratt moved to accept gifts, seconded by Patricia Izek and approved unanimously - 5 YEAS 1 ABSENT (Lunde) 1 VACANCY APPROVED
$193.39 - Wayzata Library
There being no further business, the Library Board Meeting for March 22, 2006 was declared adjourned at 5:55 p.m. Next meeting is scheduled Wednesday, April 26, 2006 at 5:00 p.m., at Hopkins Library, 22 11th Ave. N., Hopkins.