Hennepin County Library Board Meeting Minutes May 19, 2004
Dawn Harris, Vice President called the meeting of Hennepin County Library Board Meeting of May 19, 2004 to order at 4:34 p.m. All board members were present except Cynthia Steinke and John Gibbs. Staff attending: J. Leick, N. Perron, J. Morgan, D. Cramer, Dawn Currier, Helen Malby, Senior Librarian, St. Louis Park Library and Julie Ham, guest from University of Minnesota Library.
Helen Malby welcomed Library Board to St. Louis Park Library. The library was renovated a year ago and all is holding up quite well. Just recently they added two new computers in the adult area (a total of 19-Adult area; 6-Children area; 3-Teen area). Helen also addressed the Bridges Over Poverty Workshop with high praise. It was insightful and she recommends others attend. This workshop helped in relating positively to people coming out of poverty. Helen highlighted the program with Project for Pride in Living (PPL), working with at risk youth between the ages 6-12 as one-on-one mentors in a structured program in the St. Louis Park Library.
David Pratt moved approval of the minutes, seconded by Gerda Haas and approved unanimously - 5 YEAS, 2 ABSENT (Steinke & Gibbs) APPROVED
- 200 persons in Personal Services area to receive increases
- Merit or Step increases just under $537,000
- Health insurance up 8.5% over 2004
- We have to absorb health insurance increase
- Full year building funding for Brookdale and Eden Prairie
- We have to factor in utility costs increases at the following percentages:
2. Electrical - 5%
3. Water & Sewer - 3%
- Looking at all possible options for reductions
- Keep as many vacancies vacant in 2004. This would help better position us in 2005
- No levy limits 2005 for local government
- County Board has taken a fiscally conservation approach to Property Tax
In keeping with looking at ways of generating revenue, Janet has challenged the Senior Management staff to consider the rental of computer labs. The hours of rental would be between 8:00 and 10:00 a.m. to public partners as well as County Departments.
- With expansion of Community, puts greater demands on the library
- Create meeting room out of the garage
- Increase the staff workroom area
- Adding a small corner to the building
- Falling interest rate and refinancing
- Debt retirement
- Library Debt Services
Peter Miller inquired/suggested research as revenue generator for the library. Offer research services to firms and companies who need research completed but don't know where to look for a provider.
Director's Report - Janet Leick
- 84% of items checked out was done on the self-checkout machines
- 210 new Library Card Applications were processed
- Overall comments: Fantastic! Awesome! Jam Packed! Simply Great! Totally Amazing!
There being no further business the meeting of Hennepin County Library Board for May 19, 2004 was declared adjourned at 5:31 p.m.