The Hennepin County Library Board met Wed., June 24, 2009 at Ridgedale Library.
HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
JUNE 24, 2009
|Present: ||Patricia Izek, Jill Joseph, Claudia Kelly, Kathleen Lamb, John Pacheco, David Pratt, and Therese VanBlarcom|
|Hennepin County Staff: ||Amy Adelmann, Bill Berg, Juli Bratvold, Sharon Charles, Judith Friedrich, Char Graen, Barb Holden, Sandy Jensen, Jean Johnson,
Patrick Jones, Deborah Keen, Barbara Kondrick, Kelli Koob, Lois Lenroot-Ernt, Julie Little, Lynn Maki, Sheila Matthews,
Christy Mulligan, Susan Myles, Brenda Lopez, Michael McConnell, Jodi Monson, Dave Nuckols, Nancy Palmer, Margie Schuster, Laurie Stieg, Lois Langer Thompson, Linda Trandem, Ali Turner, Marilyn Turner, Diane Tvedt, Ann Walker, Ardis Wiley,
Gretchen Wronka, and Marilyn Zastrow |
|Public: ||Irma Chamberlain, Judy Hanson, Valerie Holler, Kristie Hoyt, Diane Pitmon,Todd Suomela, and Stu Wilson|
CALL TO ORDER
President Therese VanBlarcom called the Hennepin County Library Board meeting of June 24, 2009 to order at 5:04 p.m. and welcomed attendees.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Claudia Kelly made a motion to approve the agenda which was seconded by Jill Joseph. Motion passed.
Ms. Kelly made a motion to approve items under consent: minutes of the May 27, 2009 Library Board meeting with one amendment (that her name be added as present); accept donations; approve Library Board Policy 3: Customer Use of Libraries; and, Library Board Policy 24: Lending. The motion was seconded by Jill Joseph. Motion passed.
- Diane Pitmon President of the Friends of the Rogers Library, expressed concern regarding a change in management structure at Rogers Library. She shared a resolution from the Rogers City Council for discussion with the Library Board. Ms. VanBlarcom indicated Library Administration would follow-up.
- Valerie Holler expressed concern and excitement about a New North Library. She shared a plot drawing that marks a possible location of a projected 10,000 sq. ft. library on an 83,000 sq. ft. parcel. She noted she does not wish to sell the adjacent lot that she owns and does not want to see the project delayed.
PRESIDENT AND BOARD MEMBER REPORTS
- Commendation for The Friends of the Rogers Library
President VanBlarcom welcomed Ms. Pitmon and Vice President Judy Hanson from the Friends of the Rogers Library. The Friends were awarded the MN Association of Library Friends' Evy Nordley Award for Best Project "Senior Tech Day" at the 2008 MN Library Association Annual Conference.
- Commendation for 2008 Employee Recognition Program Honorees
President VanBlarcom introduced and welcomed Library staff honored by their peers in the 2008 Employee Recognition Program. Those attending were congratulated by Vice President Claudia Kelly and Library Services Manager Ardis Wiley presented them with certificates. Ms. VanBlarcom expressed gratitude for their outstanding accomplishments.
- President VanBlarcom reintroduced the HCL mission statement discussion at the last Executive Committee meeting. It will be addressed at committee again on July 6 and brought back to the full board for further discussion.
- Budget & Finance Committee Chair Jill Joseph was appointed to the Executive Committee by President VanBlarcom.
- Roger Hale resigned from the Library Board but will continue to serve until a replacement is appointed by the County Board.
- Conversations on the interest and support for Friends groups have been scheduled in all seven districts with Commissioners in attendance. Margie Schuster facilitated the discussions that included Lois Langer Thompson, Library Board members, and community members. Margie Schuster will report on the level of support and possible next steps based on input received at the community conversation meetings.
Budget & Finance Committee Chair Jill Joseph
Program and Policy Committee Claudia Kelly
- Reported on the June 11 meeting. 2010-2014 capital budget priorities were explained and the 2010 operating budget request examined. The Committee suggested a joint meeting with the Executive Committee which is scheduled Mon., July 6, 1-2:30 p.m.
Executive Committee Chair Therese VanBlarcom
- At the June 19 meeting the Lending policy was amended based on feedback received at the May 27 Board meeting (the MN Statutes citation on Data Practices was added). The Internet Public Use and Meeting Room Fees policies were discussed. Next scheduled meeting is Fri., July 17, 1-2:30 p.m. in the Director's Office Conference Room at Ridgedale Administrative Offices.
- At the June 8 meeting attendees discussed the interaction/role of the Library Board at events.
- President VanBlarcom and Ms. Thompson are scheduled to meet with County Board Chair Commissioner Opat July 20, to discuss a joint meeting with the County Board and Library Board. Board members are welcome to contact Ms. VanBlarcom with any suggestions they might have prior to this discussion.
No unfinished business.
No new business.
ADDITIONAL BOARD MEMBER REPORTS:
- Ms. Thompson attended the Rhode Island Library Association's Annual Conference to explain and answer questions about the library merger. Rhode Island is approximately the same size as Hennepin County and is considering merging 71 libraries in 48 library systems which would result in one library system for the state.
- She also spoke at the Gustavus Library Associates annual meeting. Interesting ideas to collaborate with the Library Foundation were expressed.
- She was invited to speak at the Excelsior Rotary where members expressed interest in a new library.
- She also attended a County Board Briefing on Excelsior Library and reported on next steps: 1) staff will explore a 5,000 sq. ft. option; 2) a recommendation will be made to either lease space or build a facility; 3) the recommendation will be based on cost estimates and a proposed service plan; and 4) staff will examine the possibility of combining Excelsior and Minnetonka libraries into one larger 10,000 sq. ft. building. The library will submit a plan to the County Board in the next month or two.
- Friends/Support Community Conversations have revealed widespread community/neighborhood support and a desire to "give back to the library." Staff will provide a report that includes recommendations on "mission" based priorities, and a framework for moving forward over the next few years.
- The preliminary 2010 operating budget request is due July 2 to the County Board for review; Library Board Committees meet July 6. Work is underway to identify reductions: collections, staffing and hours, the use of "special leave without pay" which has been voluntary this year, and other service changes. Recommendations will be made based on priorities expressed by the County Board.
- The Digital Bookmobile will be at Eden Prairie Library June 30, Noon-6 p.m., to learn about downloading digital information.
- New Library Board appointments may be announced June 30 at the County Board meeting. According to merger documents, in filling a Minneapolis resident's term due to a resignation, the County Board needs to consult with the City Council and Mayor. So Mr. Hale's vacancy may be delayed to fulfill that requirement.
- City libraries statistics were not distributed because of technical difficulties with the system. We may need to wait until the systems are combined to gather this information.
- Ms. Lamb requested an updated on the status of the New North Library at the next Library Board meeting, July 22, 2009.
- Mr. Pratt recognized the Library Foundation for their recent contribution of $140,000 in grants; he explained the Foundation is on schedule for their budget this year. He noted the Foundation Board is doing a superior job and acknowledged the work of Library Foundation Executive Director Stu Wilson.
- Ms. VanBlarcom mentioned the public use statistics distributed by Sharon Charles that explained circulation and other types of measurable statistics.
There being no further business, Jill Joseph made a motion to adjourn the Library Board meeting of June 24, 2009 at 5:45 p.m. which was seconded by Claudia Kelly. The motion passed. The next Library Board monthly meeting is July 22, 2009 at Ridgedale Library.
|John Pacheco, Secretary|