Hennepin County Library Board Meeting Minutes
July 28, 2004
Cynthia Steinke, President called the meeting of Hennepin County Library Board Meeting of July 28, 2004 to order at 4:24 p.m. All board members were present except David Pratt. Staff attending: J. Leick, N. Perron, J. Morgan, D. Cramer, Alanna Tyler, Gretchen Wronka, and Pearl Hunt-McCain, Senior Librarian at Oxboro Community Library.
John Gibbs moved approval of the minutes, seconded by Peter Miller and approved unanimously - 6 YEAS, 1 ABSENT (Pratt) APPROVED
Pearl Hunt-McCain welcomed Library Board to Oxboro Library. The library reopened in April this year following a well needed renovation. Pearl highlighted the following:
- World Language Collection
- Number of Languages within Collection
- Discussed statistical increases in Patrons and materials checked out
- Collaborations with 1) Value View Middle School, and 2) Family Literacy Program with
Bloomington School District
- Patrons would like longer library hours in the evening
Gretchen Wronka, Youth Services and Outreach Manager, highlighted the award HCL received at the American Library Association (ALA) Conference in Orlando, Florida for the Daddy Read to Me Program.
David Cramer addressed upcoming meeting with Richard P. Johnson, and Budget and Finance Office (July 29, 2004), and gave a capsule summary of where they are headed with preliminary discussions and proposed add backs to the 2005 Operating Budget.
- 2004 Marshall Cavendish Excellence in Library Programming Award
DIRECTOR'S REPORT - Janet Leick
Rogers Library closed a week-ago. Projected reopening date has not been confirmed, possibly mid-November.
Invitations for the Eden Prairie Library Gala event have been mailed. Gala Preview is August 12, 2004, 4 - 5:30 p.m.; Public Ribbon Cutting @ 5:30 p.m.; Grand Opening 5:45 - 8:00 p.m. Community Day Celebration is Saturday, August 14, 2004, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The Wayzata Library will be hosting a Ribbon Cutting, @ 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 31, 2004, of the Children's Garden. This was funded from private funds.
The Library Board should begin to consider when a welcome reception should be held for Amy E. Ryan, New Library Director, who will begin work at HCL on January 5, 2005. Proposed possible date for gathering was December 1, 2004, last Board meeting for 2004. Janet will follow-up with Amy and report back to Board.
- Rogers Library Remodeling
At the Library Foundation meeting last week proposed Readmobile as a fundraising focus for the Foundation. This proposal would give the Foundation a concrete visual to boast about when soliciting funds.
- Library Foundation - Children's Readmobile
Gretchen Wronka gave a brief update surrounding the Children's Readmobile. Two new vehicles have arrived at the County shop, and County graphics are being installed. They will be on the road in mid-September. The second vehicle, which is funded with $300M dollars by Hennepin County Human Service's Department, is providing a unique service. Working in partnership with Minneapolis Public Library (MPL), and will be visiting Family, Friends, and Neighbors Childcare Providers. This service is being provided for unlicensed childcare centers.
- Patricia Izek
- Visit with Friends of Wayzata Library
- Next visits will be at St. Louis Park and Westonka Libraries
- Rode on the Children's Readmobile (entire day) - Visited 4-sites
- Gerda Haas
- Attended the Capital Budget Task Force (CBTF) Meeting on June 28th
- Rode on the Children's Readmobile
John Gibbs moved approval of acceptance of non-monetary gifts, seconded by Peter Miller and approved unanimously - 5 YEAS 2 ABSENT (Pratt & Izek) APPROVED
- Cynthia Steinke
- Thank you and Farewell to Dawn Harris, Board Member who resigned to pursue other career options in another State
- Attended Library Foundation Board Meeting, the following topics were highlighted:
1) Pen Pals Renewals and Reservations - Renewals are down this year but it's still early in the renewal process
2) Season tickets for Pen Pals are down from last year's totals
3) Search for new Executive Director
4) In midst of Fundraising Campaign
There being no further business the meeting of Hennepin County Library Board for July 28, 2004 was declared adjourned at 5:58 p.m.
Peter Miller, Secretary