Library Board Executive Committee
March 2, 2009
|Library Board Members
Patricia Izek, President
Therese VanBlarcom, Vice President
John Pacheco, Secretary
Interim Library Director
Lois Langer Thompson
Attendees: Library Board members President Patricia Izek, Vice President Therese VanBlarcom and Secretary John Pacheco; staff Library Director Lois Langer Thompson, Nancy Palmer and Char Sohlberg
Library Priorities for Service Discussion
Director Lois Langer Thompson reviewed Hennepin County Library's five priorities for 2009, with a focus on diversity woven throughout each area: Early literacy; Out of school time; Jobs and small business; 55+; and Lifelong learning. Methodology:
· Using these broad priorities, the next step is to list services provided under each. When programs/services are identified, they will be prioritized based on criteria developed: Does this build or encourage self-reliance? Support the one to many model? Increase access? Include the use of volunteers and funding from other sources? How does this improve library service?
· Using data and criteria to influence decisions which will include: professional standards for best practices, research based reviews of programs, demographic information; program attendance; collection and technology use; and Balanced Scorecard outcome measures
· The final step will be to eliminate or reduce programs and services that are not the highest priority and do not meet the criteria.
Discussion followed that included ideas from Executive Committee members such as limited access to the full range of services during open hours, staffing levels and type of staff scheduled, and noted this will take significant adjustments on the part of the public and employees. Preparing the public and staff for the change may be done in the form of a survey to the public which would provide assistance on the public's priorities - to confirm what we think or gather new information.
Therese Van Blarcom made a motion to approve the meeting agenda which was seconded by John Pacheco. Motion passed. Mr. Pacheco made a motion to approve the summary of the Jan. 15, 2009 meeting which was seconded by Ms. Van Blarcom. Motion passed.
Proposed Reductions for 2009 Operating Budget Discussion
Ms. Langer Thompson reviewed the proposed reductions for the 2009 Operating Budget which are still being formulated to meet the 10% (or $5.9 million) target requested by the County Administrator. Discussion followed with Operations Division Manager Nancy Palmer explaining the overall 2009 expenditures (including a breakdown of expenditures by Division), total revenues and the library's obligation for debt retirement. The role of the Foundation was also discussed. Work is currently underway but not yet finalized to examine FTE at all levels; continued elimination of redundancies related to the merger with only one Integrated Library System and one network in 2009; a reduction in collection dollars; additional operational efficiencies (printers, copiers, paper, supplies); program and print reductions; capital projects, facilities and open hours.
Review of Proposed 2009 Executive Committee Meeting Dates and Locations
A draft of future 2009 dates and locations was revised. Mr. Pacheco made a motion to approve the list of meeting dates and locations as amended which was seconded by Ms. VanBlarcom. Motion passed.
· Draft meeting summary for Executive Committee approval; distribute 1/15/09 approved minutes to Library Board in the e-mail packet prior to the March 25, 2009 Library Board meeting
· Nancy Palmer will add narrative to chart.
Approved April 13, 2009