Library Board Program Policy Committee
March 29, 2010
|Library Board Members
Therese VanBlarcom, President
Claudia Kelly, Vice President
John Pacheco, Secretary
Lois Langer Thompson
Attendees: Library Board
Ms. Friedrich opened the
Topics for discussion:
Update: 2010 Committee’s Work Plan (policy review and revision)
Ms Friedrich shared a revised copy of the Hennepin County Library Board Policies: Policy Review and Consolidation Plan which includes the committee’s progress to date and a tentative review schedule for 2010. The schedule is revised to reflect shifting priorities. The Art Policy will be reviewed now since two Capital Project Art Selection Committees have been formed and their work is underway. The collection policy discussion will be deferred until additional committee appointments are made. Ms. Guncheon suggested reviewing the Expense Policy and Per Diem Payments sooner rather than later since they will require less research and revision.
Internet Public Use Policy progress report
Ms. Friedrich reviewed the status of the Internet Public Use Policy. The Library Board Program Policy Committee held an initial discussion in 2009 and staff is beginning to prepare a draft revision for Committee review.
Opening discussion of Art in Public Libraries policy
Ms. Friedrich provided copies of the policies related to art that were in place prior to the merger and provided a discussion paper for the group. The group explored the questions: Why does the Library provide public art? How does public art support the Library’s mission? Public art is included as a part of library capital projects because it:
· is mandated by the county
· enhances the experience of coming to the library
· reflects our commitment to the community—the arts community and the community as a whole
· creates inviting esthetics
· contributes to civic pride
· expresses our diversity
· helps to create positive public environments
· reflects our neighborhoods and our legacy
Several art selection committees
have been formed or will soon be formed.
They are components of the capital projects that are underway at
The committee meeting discussion concluded at
· Ms Friedrich will prepare for new committee appointments (e.g. update committee notebooks) and develop a draft Art Policy as it relates to capital projects.