|Attendees: ||Library Board Committee Members: Committee Chair Claudia Kelly, Brandi Brown, Sandy Johnson; Library Board Member Jill Joseph; staff Judith Friedrich, Kelli Koob, Marilyn Zastrow|
Welcome and Approvals
Chair Kelly called the meeting to order at 3:10 p.m. and welcomed attendees. Judith Friedrich requested a motion to amend the agenda to remove Ethics for Hennepin County Library Board Members policy from today's agenda. Sandy Johnson made a motion to approve the agenda as amended; seconded by Brandi Brown. Motion passed. Sandy Johnson made a motion to approve the meeting summaries of Mar 29 and Apr 24; seconded by Brandi Brown. Motion passed.
2010 Committee Meeting Schedule
Committee members decided to meet on the second Thursday of the month from 3-5 p.m. at various locations. Recommended meeting sites are: Brookdale, Edina, East Lake, Hopkins, Maple Grove, North Regional, Plymouth, St. Louis Park, and Webber Park.
2010 Work Plan
- Art in Public Libraries. A revised draft policy was distributed. This latest draft reflects the Committee's April discussion and feedback received from Library Administration and Capital Projects staff. Discussion followed. Kelli Koob, Capital Projects Office along with Jill Joseph and Sandy Johnson members of the Art Selection Committees for Maple Grove and Plymouth Libraries shared their perspectives and experience. It was decided that the policy should include a definition of public art and include some of the overarching statements currently identified as selection criteria. Members also advised that the policy be limited to commissioned public and that donated art be addressed in a different policy.
- Collection Development and Management policy; process for discussion and Board engagement
As a kickoff to the Committee's review of the Collection Development and Management Policy, Ms. Friedrich facilitated a discussion that stimulated committee members' thinking about the collection-what it is, and where it is going. Members expressed a need to better understand the nature of the existing collection, how it is distributed (e.g community libraries, area libraries, central), what is accessible, and who our network partners (e.g. MELSA, MINITEX) are for accessing material that is not owned. The discussion turned to how the Committee may effectively proceed with the policy review. It was concluded that the August 12 meeting of the Program Policy Committee meeting would include a facilitated, consensus building workshop in which participants would share their thoughts and ideas about the role collection plays and should play in Hennepin County Library. All Library Board members are invited to attend and participate in this discussion. The results will be shared at a future library board meeting and will begin to set the framework for the new policy.
Next Steps and Action Items
- Ms. Friedrich will revise the 2010 work plan as recommended.
- Ms. Friedrich will update the draft for Art in Public Libraries to be renamed Commissioned Art policy and have it ready for the next committee meeting on August 12th.
- Ms Friedrich will provide committee members with a summary description of the collection
- Next meeting of Program/Policy Committee is August 12, 3-5 p.m., Hopkins Library Meeting Room; all Library Board members are invited.
The committee meeting discussion concluded at 5:09 p.m. Brandi Brown made a motion to adjourn the Program/Policy Committee meeting which was seconded by Sandy Johnson. Motion passed.