MINUTES OF
HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
OF MAY 24, 2000

The Hennepin County Library Board met on Wednesday, May 24, 2000, at the Ridgedale Area Library.


PRESENT: Bob Zaragoza, Vice President
Jack Cole
John Gibbs
Patricia Izek
Marilyn Jackson
David Pratt
LIBRARY STAFF ATTENDING: C.Brown, D.Cramer, J.Leick, N.Perron, C.DeGraff, S.Charles, M.Gillespie, C. Muchow, J.Morgan, S.Louis, M.Bell, K. Hartmann, R. Pyrlik, C.Ahrens & B.Berg.
GUESTS: Sanford Berman, Chip Brink (Foundation), Richard Johnson (Deputy County Administrator), Janet Fabio (Metronet), and Jym Wroblewski (MELSA).


WELCOME & PUBLIC COMMENT
Vice President Zaragoza called the meeting to order and welcomed staff and guests.

Public Comment: Mr. Berman reported that he had public comment that related to CAB operations and requested that his public comment be deferred until and when CAB manager (E. Feinberg) arrived. Library Board requested to hear the public comment; S. Berman declined public comment at this time; presiding officer Zaragoza reported that time for public comment was over and proceeded with the printed agenda.

APPROVAL
A motion to approve the minutes of the April 26, 2000, meeting was made by M. Jackson; seconded by P Izek; motion passed.

PROGRAM
MELSA & Metronet: Informational updates from each respective Executive Director -- James Wroblewski and Janet Fabio. Library Board members requested copies of the minutes of Metronet and MELSA Board meetings -- response was that both organizations are looking at posting meeting minutes on their web pages.

COMMITTEE REPORTS
Ways & Means Committee: B. Zaragoza reported that no action items were addressed at the May 10 Ways & Means Committee meeting; discussion points included the 1999, 2000 and 2001 operating budgets, Bestseller Express.
Policy Committee: C. Walsh was not present, no report.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
Library Foundation/Library Board Priorities: Regarding the 6 priorities, C. DeGraff reviewed the outcome from the April 26 Library Foundation Board of Directors' meeting ("Funding Priorities" had been mailed to Library Board). C. DeGraff received written questions from M. Jackson and he will review them and respond directly to her. Chip Brink, Foundation Board, reviewed the Foundation Values, Vision and Mission, and Library Foundation Objectives and Goals (through Sept. 2001). Foundation will share a listing of Committees for possible Library Board participation.

NEW BUSINESS
Internet Update: N. Perron distributed a media packet relating to the MPL Internet issue and distributed a copy of the 2000 legislation requiring filtering "or other effective methods" to protect children's access. M. Bell invited Library Board members to participate in any of the four planned staff Internet training sessions (e-mail listing dates was mailed to Board). Outcomes of the training: staff to review policy and guidelines, increase staff comfort level in dealing with issues that surround this policy, introduce some resources for staff, allow time for staff discussion. Staff attendance at the training is "strongly encouraged," and may be expanded to some volunteers and area library security staff.

Speakers Bureau: N. Perron presented background on a previous proposal for a Speakers Bureau in 1996-1998 which was developed as a general awareness building strategy. The Speakers Bureau is a very labor and resource intensive approach and is not a high priority at this time--especially since librarians do take speaking engagements in the communities they serve. Agreement that the Library will provide speakers training to key staff and Library Board members.

DIRECTOR'S REPORT
C. Brown reported on a few additional items: Roles & Services has had quite a successful response, and has received approval from the County Board, next step is to work on implementation. Question was raised on the July 25 County Board Briefing date on calendar -- it is listed as the 5 year service plan, but the focus will be on Maple Grove and the many options in that community, to get direction from the County Board.

Request was made for review of status of current Strategic Plan, achievement of objectives, at a future Board meeting.

BOARD MEMBER REPORTS
C. Walsh: B. Zaragoza relayed her remarks -- MELSA Legislative Forum scheduled for May 31 in preparation for the MLA Legislative Forum in June, if attending, contact Julia Morgan; trustees attending ALA need to submit travel requests -- M. Jackson, J. Cole and P. Izek planning to attend. C. Walsh acknowledged Library Board members who attended the staff recognition at Sherlock's Home and the Volunteer Recognition at Golden Valley Country Club.

P. Izek: Privileged to attend the Volunteer Recognition event and the great speakers, a volunteer had prepared a wonderful scrapbook of volunteers, really appreciate the efforts of all volunteers.

M. Jackson: June 2-4 she will be attending the Urban Libraries Council planning retreat in Chicago, and will be attending ALA in July and highlighted the ULC Leadership Breakfast.

J. Cole: Attended the Great Transitions recognition at the Golden Valley Library.

B. Zaragoza: As Chair of Ways & Means Committee he reminded everyone that as they venture out into various workshops and conventions, they be mindful of budget allocation.

OTHER
Grants: Report on grant status was mailed to Board members.

Gift Acceptance: Motion to accept the gifts was made by M. Jackson; seconded by J. Cole; motion passed.
$25.00  Friends of the Hopkins Library to the Hopkins Library for their membership in the MN Association of Library Friends.
297.50  Friends of the Hopkins Library to the Hopkins Library for new puppets.
100.00  Friends of the Hopkins Library to the Hopkins Library for their membership in the Hopkins Business and Civic Association.
50.00   Friends of the Hopkins Library to the Hopkins Library for flowers for the front planters.
49.67   Friends of the Westonka Library to the Westonka Library to purchase prizes for library programs.
96.21   Friends of the Westonka Library to the Westonka Library to purchase prizes for library programs.

Public Comment: Request was made from S. Berman; presiding officer reminded guest and trustees of the agenda and that time for public comment had passed and invited Mr. Berman to address the Board at the next meeting; other Board members felt that comments could be made at this time. Mr. Berman commented on items discussed at the meeting.

ADJOURNMENT
Motion to adjourn was made by J. Cole, seconded by D. Pratt, and passed.






John Gibbs, Secretary