In the United States, more than two million men and women are behind bars. Another five million live under the control of the criminal justice system. Few are prepared for the tough transition to their new life beyond bars.
Jeffrey Ian Ross and Stephen C. Richards' book Beyond Bars: Rejoining Society After Prison
provides the information and guidance that can make a real difference in a successful transition. It reveals the difficulties - and opportunities - awaiting parolees once they are outside prison walls. These include:
- Preparing for release while still in prison
- Surviving the parole system
- Dealing with family members - especially spouces and children
- Halfway houses and work release centers
- Finding a job or going back to school
- Organizations that help ex-convicts
Jeffrey Ian Ross was also interviewed on National Public Radio about his book. Listen to the interview.