Executive Committee meeting summary - June 6, 2018
The public is welcome at all library board meetings
The Library Board Executive Committee met Wednesday, June 6, 2018, Hopkins Library, meeting room.
Committee members: President Katherine Blauvelt, Chris Damsgard, Jonathan Gaw, and Vice President Erin Vrieze Daniels.
Library Board members: Sheila Letscher.
Staff: Director Lois Langer Thompson, Lois Lenroot-Ernt, Janet Mills, Nancy Palmer, and Tracy Thompson.
Welcome and Call to Order
President Blauvelt called the meeting to order at 5:42 p.m. and welcomed attendees.
Approval of Agenda and Meeting Summary
Jonathan Gaw made a motion to approve the agenda; seconded by Vice President Vrieze Daniels. Motion passed.
Chris Damsgard made a motion to approve the March 6, 2018, meeting summary; seconded by Vice President Vrieze Daniels. Motion passed.
2019 Proposed Library Operating and Capital Improvement Plan
- Nancy Palmer reviewed preliminary 2018 Library Operating budget data.
- Director Thompson reminded the committee that the Library Board’s role is to review and recommend the operating and capital budgets. Library Board members are invited to attend the County Board Capital Budget meeting. Once the date is set, Library Board members will be informed.
- President Blauvelt asked Nancy Palmer to begin with the narrative around the data at the full Library Board meeting on June 27.
- Board members suggested wording to help strengthen and clarify the Library’s needs and outcomes for requests.
- The Board discussed the Library proposals for use of fund balance, proposed addbacks, and sources of funding to meet the 2019 operating budget request.
Library Board Goals and Agendas for Upcoming Meetings
- Director Thompson presented a calendar of proposed Library Board meeting dates and topics for the next 18 months.
- The Committee discussed how to frame future discussions with the question or framework in mind of “The Future of Libraries” to help build conversations over time.
- The Committee brainstormed a list of future dialogue topics and presentations around current and future technology, collection, disparity reduction, and how to make the Library more resilient over time.
- Sheila Letscher inquired if there are key speaking points for Library Board members to be familiar with when engaging with public and officials. She requested this be a part of future presentations or new member onboarding.
- To help maximize time in future meetings, Vice President Vrieze Daniels requested the County Attorney not present every year or present at new member onboarding instead, unless new information will be shared.
- The August Executive Committee meeting will be a facilitated discussion to further develop Library Board dialogue topics and questions with a goal of presenting the 2019 schedule to the full board in September.
- The Committee reviewed future 2018 agendas and proposed to not hold a board meeting in August 2018. All Library Board members will be encouraged to attend the August Executive Committee meeting.
Vice President Vrieze Daniels made a motion to recommend the Library Board not hold a full board meeting in August; seconded by Chris Damsgard. Motion passed.
The next meeting of the Library Board Executive Committee is Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 5:30 p.m., Hosmer Library, meeting room.
Vice President Vrieze Daniels made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:01 p.m.; seconded by Chris Damsgard. Motion passed.