Moving to Heal program series this September-October
This fall, North Regional, Sumner and Webber Park libraries will offer “Moving to Heal,” a series of programs intended to hold space for people to process trauma, connect with others and gain tools to heal.
The neighborhoods served by these libraries in north Minneapolis have experienced many traumas recently, and face ongoing trauma caused by institutional and systemic racism. With “Moving to Heal,” the community is invited to see and use local libraries as spaces to promote healing. Centering the leadership of communities most impacted by trauma, programs are offered in partnership with Black program providers, artists and other practitioners who live and work on the north side.
All programs are sponsored by ReCAST Minneapolis.
Moving to Heal events
Healing Circles are safe spaces for people affected by trauma to come together to connect, to be heard and to be supported. A mental health practitioner from The Zen Bin will lead this series of programs that will include Healing Circle conversations and self-care strategies. Come to one session or come to all four. If you are in need of childcare, please call Webber Park Library in advance of each session at 612-543-6750 to reserve a spot.
All events take place at Webber Park Library:
- Thursday, September 6, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Saturday, September 15, 3-5 p.m.
- Saturday, September 29, 3-5 p.m.
- Thursday, October 4, 6:30-8 p.m.
Individuals, families and groups of loved ones are invited to pose for a photographic portrait. All groups will receive one framed photograph. Spots are limited; register in person at the library in advance of the program.
- North Regional Library, Sunday, September 16, 2-4 p.m.
- Sumner Library, Thursday, September 20, 6-8 p.m.
- Webber Park Library, Saturday, September 22, 3-5 p.m.
Master Storyteller Nothando Zulu will share stories for all ages. Witness how stories communicate important legacies and lessons about strength, resilience and healing.
- Sumner Library, Friday, September 14, 11-11:45 a.m.
- North Regional Library, Saturday, September 22, 11-11:45 a.m.
- Webber Park Library, Saturday, October 6, 2-2:45 p.m.
Grades 5-8. Join certified yoga instructor Rebeka Ndosi for a series of classes designed for youth to move their bodies in ways that promote healing, calming, and self-regulation. Come to one session or try all six sessions. Materials provided.
- Sumner Library, Saturdays, September 1-October 6, 3-3:45 p.m.
Join certified yoga instructor Rebeka Ndosi for a series of classes designed to heal and transform trauma into strength. No experience necessary. Materials provided. A limited number of workout outfits will also be available.
- Sumner Library, Saturdays, September 1-October 6, 4-4:45 p.m.