Indigenous Peoples Day is October 12
Join your library as we celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day in Minnesota on October 12.
Victory Rally Toy Theater video contest in partnership with All My Relations Arts. Art kits, designed by Graci Horne, will be available for pick up at Franklin Library from 3-5 p.m. on Monday, October 12.
Videos will be accepted through Friday, November 13 and reviewed by a three-person jury of community artists. Prize winners will be notified by Wednesday, November 18 and announced on Thursday, November 19. Videos will be shared online November 23-25.
Books (many available as eBooks)
- Native American Memoir - Staff-recommended memoirs reflecting the Native American experience.
- New Poets of Native Nations - Local poet and anthology editor Heid E. Erdrich has collected a number of poems in the book "New Poets of Native Nations." Find other works of poetry and prose by the book's contributors in this list.
- Books for Youth by Native Writers - Here is a collections of books for preschoolers, kids and teens by Native American authors.
- Indigenous plants and foods - Books about cooking with foods indigenous to North America, with Native traditions and Native American gardening.
- American Indian Youth Literature Award - The American Indian Youth Literature Awards are presented every two years, to identify and honor the very best writing and illustrations by and about American Indians.
Check out virtual Native storytimes by library staff and a video by storyteller and cartoonist Michael Lyons about his book "Dog and Ma'iingan" and the Ojibwe words within the book.
Tour the Franklin Library and its Native America special collections with this video from Franklin Library staff.