Eden Prairie Library to be renovated in 2018-19
Eden Prairie Library will close in the fall of 2018 for a significant renovation that will take approximately nine months to complete.
When the library reopens in 2019, patrons will experience a space that has additional designated quiet and active areas, new LED lighting and comfortable outdoor spaces that are accessible from within the library. In addition, exterior building repairs, improvements for energy and safety requirements, electrical updates and parking lot storm water drainage improvements will be made.
Hearing from the community is a critical part of any library project in Hennepin County. In spring 2017, a survey gathering patron feedback to inform the renovation was posted on the library website and offered on paper at the library’s service desk. Survey respondents cited these areas of importance for the library:
- A place that supports my community
- Comfortable seating for adults and families
- Places that are quiet for reading and quiet study
- Enclosed spaces for meetings and study
During a community meeting Wednesday, September 13, 7-8:30 p.m. in the Eden Prairie Library meeting room, join library staff and project architects to learn more about the renovation and share your ideas.
Eden Prairie Library staff have also met to discuss what’s most important to them. They have expressed their wishes for the new space and offered ideas regarding improved public service, building layout and functionality. Themes from that discussion included:
- Adding and updating technologies
- Makerspaces (craft spaces) and collaborative learning spaces
- Study spaces for groups and individuals
- Comfortable seating for families in the children’s area
- Larger teen area
- Access to outdoor patio
- Staff work areas: collaborative work space and meeting space; quieter automated materials handling machines.
All of these ideas will be taken into consideration as architectural planning and schematic design continues. The design work is being led by MSR Design.
More information about this building project