Current status and next steps for Southdale Library
In June 2019, the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners authorized county staff to negotiate a lease agreement to relocate Southdale Library to the nearby Southdale Center. Lease agreements with mall developer Simon Properties are continuing.
In summer and fall 2019, library staff continued engaging the community about the new library, especially seeking voices not well represented at the public meetings held in May and June. These patron groups included young people and area residents of all ages at community events, as well as visits to affordable housing developments nearby.
What we know now
- The current Southdale Library will remain open until the new library is ready to open, currently anticipated in mid-2023.
- The new library will be located in a new development on the former Herberger’s site at Southdale Center, along with a Kowalski’s Market grocery store and Life Time residential tower.
- Hennepin County staff are working with Simon Properties to develop early conceptual plans for the new library.
Next steps in spring 2020
- The City of Edina will review Simon Properties’ preliminary plans for the new development
- Schematic design for the new library space will begin.
Thank you for your support of Southdale Library, and your continued interest in the project. Future public opportunities to help shape the new library will be announced once known.
More about this building project