Library Board Per Diem and Expense Policy
Hennepin County Library Board Policy
The purpose of this policy is to state the types of expenses the Library Board may incur and define the roles and responsibilities for managing those expenses.
- Library Board members provide valued service to the Hennepin County Library and the residents of Hennepin County as a whole
- Library Board members freely give of their time and talents in support of the Hennepin County Library's mission and vision
- Hennepin County Library provides fiscal support to develop Library Board members' knowledge and understanding of public library services
- Library Board members receive compensation for their expenses in accordance with Minnesota State Law and Hennepin County Policy
Per Diem Payments
Pursuant to Minnesota Statute 383B.243 which states:
Members of the Library Board shall be allowed a per diem not to exceed $50 for meetings relating to advice and recommendations concerning the library program. Each member may also be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred as a result of the meeting. Payment for meetings of the Library Board shall be authorized in an amount not to exceed two meetings monthly.
Per Diem payments may be claimed by Library Board members for the following meetings:
- Regular monthly Library Board meetings
- Special Library Board meetings
- Committee meetings
- Any meetings which Library Board members are requested to attend as official representatives
Professional Association Memberships
Library Board members may receive individual memberships in the American Library Association and the Minnesota Library Association for the duration of their service on the Hennepin County Library Board.
Travel and Library Conferences
Authorized travel and library conference attendance will be fully reimbursable, up to a Library Board member's budgetary shares. (A share is the Library Board travel budget divided by the number of Board members.) The value of a budgetary share is established as a part of the annual Library Board budget process.
- The Library Board President is entitled to two shares per year
- All other members are entitled to one share per year; members who officially represent Hennepin County Library in a professional library association receive one additional share per year
- A member whose board terms expires on December 31 and who does not seek reappointment or is not reappointed but who remains on the board until the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners appointment process is completed is eligible for reimbursement for conference attendance expenses incurred after the member's official term ended on December 31.
On request, additional direct expenses, such as mileage and meals, shall be reimbursed in accordance with Minnesota law and Hennepin County Policy
Roles and Responsibilities
Library Board members will submit:
- The "Library Board Timesheet" by the 5th of each month to the Library Director's Office
- Travel and library conference attendance requests to the Library Board President for approval
- Requests for travel and other expenses in accordance with Hennepin County procedures
Library Board President in consultation with the Library Director:
- Manages the Library Board budget
- Authorizes Library Board member travel and conference attendance
Associated Policies and Laws
This policy is reviewed by the Library Director (or designee) every five years (5) who then makes recommendations to the Library Board Program/Policy Committee. The Committee reviews and revises as necessary, endorses and advances to the full Library Board for approval
Next Review Date: 2026
Date Approved: 2021
Previous Policy Dated: 9/27/2006
Replaces: Expense Policy; Per Diem Payments Policy